Take a moment to Reflect on the past
What has worked for you in the past?
What has absolutely NOT worked for you in the past?
What are you truly committed to?
What motivates and excites, even scares you a little?
Why do you want this change – what will it mean to you? How will your life look if you achieve it? How will it look if you don’t?
Where are you in your life right now? For example – If you’re committed to a full-time job then setting yourself a goal to also study full time may be unrealistic especially when combined with other personal commitments like family and relationships. Your goals need to align with your current circumstances.
- It’s ok to set a big goal but break it down into smaller increments also. This will help you to achieve milestones, and keep you on track.
- Write these down – make them concrete.
- Review your goals throughout the year – keep them alive.
- Think through the process you will need to take to achieve your goal or resolution – don’t only focus on the result.
- Celebrate your successes! – rewards are an important motivator.
- If you falter – reflect on why and what you could do to remove the obstacle or temptation that tripped you up. It’s ok to have a few false starts just get back on the blocks!
In other words – Be SMART
Set Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time-bound goals
(I want to) Believe
Focus on positive outcomes rather than on the negative. Leave your doubts behind!
Believe that you can achieve your goals and set yourself up for success by removing or limiting factors that may impede your progress.